Here in Naples Florida, because we are such a seasonal market, it is typical for sellers to hold off on listing their home for sale until after the holidays because the bulk of the snowbirds return to our area starting around mid-January. However, you should consider the benefits of listing your home for sale during the holidays, such as:
- Inevitably, the amount of listings on the market drop down, which means less competition for your home. With less competition, you could potentially sell your home faster, for more money.
- Although there will be less buyers looking at homes this time of year, the buyers who do look are more serious
- Looking back on statistics, interest rates tend to drop the most at the end of the year.
- Many people purposely choose to purchase a home before the new year to receive a tax write off. Home buyers who close before the end of the year could be eligible for tax
credits, such as deductions for home mortgage interest, real estate taxes, and PMI premiums.
- Large companies normally transfer employees in January. Those relocating usually need to buy a house right away and simply cannot wait.
- During the holidays, homes typically show better. The decorations and the smell of cookies baking give your home a “warm and cozy” feeling.
- A lot of companies give their employees time off work for the holiday season, which means potential buyers have more time for showings.
- Lenders and title companies aren’t as busy and can process loans faster.
- Remodeling, decorating, appliance installation and other home services become more available and at less of a premium.
- If you sell your home over the holidays, you’ll have your pick of tons of houses for sale in the winter months and spring time.